Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A generation inspired or intimidated?

Suzanne Collins Hunger Games Trilogy, the story of a futuristic world where a girl and boy are chosen by lottery to fight to the death for the nation’s entertainment, has sold 35 million copies at last count.

The tactical, suspense-filled game of immaculately presented cat and mouse, with a ferocious hunt to the line for an earth-shattering finale very much came to mind as I watched the ladies cycling sprint final.   Add to the tension an audio-visual feast of high-definition race graphics, immaculate athletes introduced to the audience via mini-montage to the accompaniment of the futuristic chimes of the Chemical Brothers, and I felt that I was truly getting a glimpse of the future. 

The future of British sport is a Dave Brailsford (Performance Director for GB Cycling) world, where a simple formula is employed to devastating effect:  talent + commitment + coaching + research and development + attention to detail = high performance.   To see Victoria Pendleton fully clad in her armour moments before the ladies sprint final is to look at the face of Medusa. Terrifying and fatal.

Despite our epic success at London 2012, in Brailsford’s own words: “we need to work on the link between inspiration and participation.” Undoubtedly these Games have dangled the carrot of celebrity and immense personal satisfaction to the masses, but they have also re-fortified the barrier of the physiological and material pre-requisites needed to win, and the crushing implications of failure. 

Rather than inspired, are Britain’s future greats, who are perhaps a little shorter than they should be, or a little over 25, or don’t live in Manchester, or own nothing but a pair of plimsolls, entirely intimidated?  To inspire the masses to participate, it is crucial to not extinguish the flicker of greatness with over-bearing pre-requisite.

As well as our stellar medal count, I will be telling my kids about the Afghantistan woman Tahmina Kohistani , who I witnessed run the 100 metres wearing a full habib, come last in her heat, but with a lifetime best, “I am here to begin a new era for the women of Afghanistan to show people that ..There is no difference between us”.  About the double amputee Oscar Pistorius, the first to compete at the Olympics and Paralympics,  who raced to the 400 metre semi-final.  About the 54 year old Nick Skelton who jumped a faultless round in the team showjumping for gold, following hip replacement and a broken neck.

These are the athletes who inspire me to put my running shoes on. To believe that at 33, 5’4”, and parent of 2, magic may still one day happen.  Because if I don’t believe that, let alone if I let my children believe it, what would be the point of turning up at all?

3 comments:

  1. Another inspiring read. Really enjoying your Blog. I'm sat in the hairdressers and although it's a mix of Olympic emotion and off the back of the news that my mate just had her baby, reading this made me well up. Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've decided to wait for my magic wheels to turn up in the post! According to the French all the other stuff is irrelevant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the massive crowds lining the streets show we are inspired as a nation! Lxx

    ReplyDelete