Friday, July 27, 2012

Down with Work Life Balance!

According to Paul McFedries excellent Wordspy website www.wordspy.com, the phrase 'Work Life Balance' was coined in 1986.  The phrase appeared sporadically in papers across the world over the subsequent 10 years, rising to 34 mentions in the Nexis newspaper sample in 1997.  Four years later, 435 mentions across the sample. By 2010 over 1500 'Work Life Balance' mentions.  The media (and therefore the people) were becoming obsessed. Then, thank goodness, a drop.

Long may this decline continue. Down with Work Life Balance! And down with the nonsense update "Life Work Balance", too!

We must give huge thanks to the early pioneers of greater life balance.  In 2002, for example, Simon Murphy, the leader of Britain's Labour MEP's, walked away from the "undoubted rewards of a fulfilling ego-boosting career" in order to spend more time with his family. 

Ground-breaking at the time, his explanatory statement - "Being a father and a husband is my number one priority even at the cost of a career I have spent my adult life pursuing", made headline national news and was covered in numerous comment columns.

Though in so many ways inspirational, even today, his decision also feels terribly depressing.

This idea that a successful, fulfilling career is incompatible with spending time with the family must be challenged. Yet, in fact, I believe we are exacerbating the problem by continuing our quest for this outdated view of balance - 1,452 newspaper mentions of the phrase persisted in 2011.

Balance is defined as 'an even distribution of weight enabling someone or something to remain upright and steady'. By adding the words 'work' and 'life' we understand that we are looking for an even distribution of weight across the two, as on a pair of scales.

The very notion of work and life being equally and oppositely weighted is both un-inspirational and overly simplified.   It suggests that we:
1.)  Target working more than the standard working hours (standard working hours, 5 days a week, a 16 hour day awake - work should account for less than one third of our wakeful time)

2.) Pitch the whole of the rest of our life components against one, work.

Thank goodness that we have made some progress. That, for many, nowadays, being a parent and a partner is a "number one priority". However, for many others it is simply not acceptable, nor optimal for our economy, to walk away from the "fulfilling, ego boosting..career that we have spent our life pursuing". We need to be fulfilled and we need our egos to be boosted.

I would like to suggest that we take a rather more sophisticated approach.  We aim for a 'balanced life'. 

A truly balanced life is determined by the individual on their own terms and can be captured in their own, highly personalised Life Scorecard. Each component is intricately weighted, targeted and assessed.  It can't be simplified to two components on a set of weighing scales.

6 comments:

  1. My issue with "Work Life balance" is that it suggests work isn't life. They are in opposition. Yet I know that not to be true for so many people. People whose jobs energise them and make them feel alive. You spend so much of your life at "work", it's surely worth finding something that you enjoy doing, and don't resent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the other anonymous. But the part about this so-called "balance" I dislike in the usual discussion in the media is the idea that there is some "correct" end we should get to. I don't think it's like that at all. Some years, my career is more of interest and that's where I want to put my energy. Some months, I just want to focus more on my kids. Some days, I'm happy to dump the kids at daycare and high-tail it to my office where I can have an uninterrupted thought. And in all of this there is never enough time to exercise. But my point is that it's constantly evolving and there's no point feeling guilty because you haven't reached some ideal balance.
    KH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has anyone actually achieved that magic 'balance'? I'd love to hear about it. Guilty if you work, guilty if you don't, exhausted when you try and do the two. I too gave up my 'high flying career' for partner and kids (mainly kids) and now trying to go it solo. Not sure there is a formula or a magic score card. Think we just need to muddle on through until the kids are old enough to head off to school and leave us in peace to get on with our 'own' lives. At least that's what I am hoping.

    In the mean time, I aspire to this ideal “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
    ― Confucius

    Hopefully I am on the road to that.. though I'm under no illusion that it's going to be a short or easy path. S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the comments. Gifts for you lot! (message me your address please)

    Really agree with anonymous Roxy that work should be considered like any other of your life components - something that energises you, and that you enjoy. Calling out 'work' in opposition to 'life' is another cynical aspect of the term 'work life balance'.

    The other comments about 'magic' balance and 'correct' balance, I also agree with. There is of course no secret formula as suggested by the media with their 'work life balance' term which suggests 50:50.

    My view is that we have our own definition of what balance means across our selected life components and it is our responsibility as individuals to manage balance across our own personalised scorecard.

    Afraid I don't believe that we can afford, or need, to tread water until the kids leave. Think we need to take control of our own aspiration now and figure out a plan now to achieve it - much as anonymous Siofra has done by setting up her own business.

    See 'Taking the Good Ship Determination to Aspirationville' for more musings on this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Balance is overrated in my opinion. You don't get big, life-changing experiences through balance but through those big extremes that come along and screw you over so you have to eat rice cakes for two weeks as you have no time for anything else. Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. At the top of your game anonymous Lucy you rightly sound like Bradley Wiggins! I couldn't agree more about making sure you have your time to shine rather than be content with a constant low wattage day to day. My goodness though it takes a lot of support.

    ReplyDelete