Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Good body lacking soul

Some years ago I took a sabbatical from my job and spent a year travelling. The joy derived from a year doing what I fancied recalibrated my expectations of my life.  I also discovered that the components which drive my own 'life satisfaction' are various and variable: career, family, friends, quality of lifestyle, sport.

I happily retook my place in the workforce, with a few adjustments to my lifestyle - a renewed focus on sport, and a fresh respect and love for my friends.

I had it all figured out.

Running opens your mind to posibility.  Coming up the final strait of my first full triathlon, I had the idea of having a baby. 

Suddenly, any previous considerations on how to live were like Primary mathematics, life satisfaction now needed a super-computer to optimise.

That triathlon is a good marker of that final time in my life when I had everything in perfect alignment. My mind at this time was absolutely focused on my race, my body was mine alone and in peak performance. My soul? Well, I guess that is where I had some room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment